GET YOUR FREE COPY OF WHAT GREAT SUPERVISORS KNOW.
New Years Eve is typically the time when many people make New Year’s Resolutions.
Unfortunately, many of those resolutions get broken, sometimes on the very first day of the new year!
Here are some guidelines for setting achievable goals for yourself and your business in 2008:
1. Set the goal high enough that there is about a 50/50 chance of hitting it. Goals that are set too low don’t motivate you to try hard enough to achieve them. Goals that are set too high cause you to give up too quickly because you figure you can’t possibly hit them. This works with both personal goals and career and business goals.
2. Make your goal specific. For example lose weight is not really a goal – Lose 10 pounds by June 30th is more specific.
3. Bring your goal to life – cut out pictures, make up reminder signs – imagine success and the positives that will come from achieving your goal. Set a reward for yourself when you achieve the goal.
4. Examine your behaviours – look at the behaviours that work against your goal and those that support it. Remember that goals will require you to act and even speak differently in order to get a different result. Often we don’t need to make dramatic changes – just a few strategic small changes in behaviour can yield big results. If you’re in sales perhaps you’ll decide to ask for referrals or make on additional prospecting call per day. If you want to lose weight, perhaps you will trim portion sizes, go for a walk once a day.
5. Take action – do something each and every day to move towards your goal. If you find yourself procrastinating, chances are the goal isn’t enticing enough to motivate you or you are letting your wn self talk or others to keep you from success.
Next Monday, Jan 7th I will be away, however when I come back on Jan 14th we’ll be telling everyone more about the Personal, Career and Leadership Success Seminar on February 20th at the Caboto Club. Get on the guest list at www.LeadershipWizard.com.
Simply enter in your name and email address and we'll send it right over to you.